Pork Chop with Chickpeas
Source: Pork Chop with Chickpeas (Chhole wala gosht), Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking, pg 61, Site Name
Local Cookbook: Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking
- 1/2 lb chickpeas, dried
- 8 cups water, plus 3 Tbsp
- 1 1/2 inch ginger, fresh, peeled & coarsely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 Tbsp vegetable oil,
- 2 lbs pork chop, thin cut
- 8 cardomom pods, whole
- 1 inch cinnamon stick,
- 2 bay leaves,
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, whole
- 2 onions, medium, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp cumin, ground
- 1 Tbsp coriander, ground
- 1 tsp turmeric, ground
- 3 tomatoes, medium, peeled and chopped
- 3 potatoes, medium, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch dice
- 1 Tbsp salt,
- 10 oz mushrooms, medium, halved
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper,
I went off recipe a lot.
Canned chickpea rather than dry.
Whole fennel seeds rather than cumin (but still put ground cumin in) and finely chopped garlic + ginger rather than a paste. No cardamon. Whole coriander rather than ground.
I decided to cube the pork chops rather than doing them whole. I cooked the whole thing in a cast iron Dutch oven, first on the stove top, then in the oven at 425 for the final simmering.
Could have had a bit more spice heat to it, but it was tasty & flavourful.